Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Work has seriously affected my ability to post in a timely fashion.   Since I can't access my blog at work, I'm reduced to blogging at home, and well, sleep trumps blogging.  Not a whole lot has happened in the past week anyways, I've been working way more than I should and studying for the GRE.  My test is next week!!  Agghhh! (edited for my younger readers) 

Today I was supposed to do a PR event at the NICU conference, however I opted to sleep in and catch up on TiVo.  If I hadn't worked the past three days I might have been more enthused about sitting in a hotel lobby for 8 hours, but I just couldn't make myself get up and get ready this morning.  Oh well. There were enough other people signed up that I hope they don't mind my absence too much.  Work has been rough.  Not gonna lie.  We've been on diversion and running lots of regionals interspersed with ICU trips as soon as a bed opens.  There's actually a waiting list to get transferred into our PICU.  How crazy is that?  Morale has been an ongoing issue with our team, and sadly we're at a new low.  We've had nurses and medics quit this month, and it seems like everyone else is looking for another job.  We're having a team 'retreat' next month.  Not sure how that's gonna go, or if anyone will actually show up.  I'm trying to just do my job and not get involved in all the shenanigans, and I'm doing better than I anticipated.    Week after next we go back to 24 hour shifts, which means one less day on campus each week, so I'm looking forward to that.

Talked to Tommy on Sunday.  After a week in transit, he made it safely back to Afghanistan.  They put him pack to work within 4 hours of his arrival, so he didn't have a whole lot to say.  Still sad that he had to go back, but he'll be home (hopefully for good) in just over six months.  It's hard to be so proud of someone, yet scared for them at the same time.   I think Afghanistan will end up being like Vietnam for the US, which makes it difficult for me to understand why our government insists on fighting a battle that has proved winless throughout history.  How is winning the war in Afghanistan going to improve life here in the states?  Why are we so worried about everyone else's livelihood, when Americans are struggling just as much?   To me, we're fighting this war for unclear reasons.  Does Afghanistan really pose that big of a threat to us as a nation, or are we just stuck with a fight we started years ago?    The war isn't front page news anymore, which should make it obvious to those making the decisions about whether we stay or go, that as Americans, we aren't really that interested. 

Guess that's enough ranting for today, should get back to studying...

No comments:

Post a Comment